11/07/2008

CHANGES

I just celebrated in the United States the election of Barack Obama and his theme: change. And I’m not even going to comment on the fact that he made history as the first African-American elected President or his power to move people. I will talk about the necessity of adjustments and changes we have to go in life. I believe many women try to plan stuff. Some have the ability to have a free spirit reflected on the non-addiction they have to agendas. The others have that to do list present all of the time. I want to do this and this, and then this afterwards, and I have to take care of the kids, share time with my husband, study, eat, cook, visit family, etc… so much time that we take as rubber bands in order to please someone. As I was saying to a friend: “don’t let your planning for your future, become your constant presents”.

It’s about attitude. I read someplace that 10% of the things you encounter are “what happened” and 90% is what you do with it. I also have something else in mind: veterans. Veterans Day is getting close, and these topics couldn’t be more related. We try to plan things ahead so that nothing comes as a surprise. We plan so much and try to be aware, that sometimes, even in relationships, we try not to get involved as much to prevent hurting “if something goes wrong”. But what happens when our circumstances change from one day to the other? When you have something in mind, and you think you have it on your side, and suddenly- it disappears.

Let me tell you, I know of people that have planned everything. Those wake up with an agenda and a schedule. I know I’m one of them. But let me tell you that right now I feel blessed with what I’ve got. I planned way ahead and God and destiny changed my plans. I ended up in another city with another program, my best friend at work and at heart was transferred near me, work opportunities have arrived in a time when there’s more unemployment; blessings and more blessings, made by embracing a change. I didn’t know what would happen, but I fell in love and feel happy. Happy because my agenda didn’t work, and all that dreaming with a plan had to go to the dumpster. My plan B became my only plan A, everything was turned around.

What about veterans? Could you imaging living each second in a war zone, where everything you know or want to do could dissappear? There you are, with your kids’ picture in your pocket, with a cross on your neck, with your tags- and in any moment- boom! You’re gone. What about the changes you face when you come back and you can’t delete those memories of war in your head. Where you are afraid and sleep with a gun or a knife. And what about the family that stays and waits- at a time where every single phone call turns to be the messenger of the worst news of your life. This quote: “Success in life is not about having everything that you like, but by liking everything you receive”.

I just got to ask you, to ask yourself if you honor and respect these veterans and their sacrifice. Recognize your own sacrifices at home. Don’t stop dreaming, you can achieve your goals. Remember, when a door closes, other opens, but it depends on you if you want to pass it.

I hear by give a mini gift to veterans and soldiers: especially the veteran that has turned my life around- I’m proud of you and love you. This is something I made:


V -Veterans are those who served The Nation
E - Everyday thanking that they would make it back home
T- Thinking of those they were fighting for
E – Every child, every husband or wife, freedom.
R- Reunited in experiences
A- Adjusting after War
N- United by one thing,
S- Service, I honor thee.

Take your time to pray for those who have died in service,
and those who are at War.

O God, by whose mercy the faithful departed find rest, look kindly on your departed veterans who gave their lives in the service of their country. Grant that through the passion, death, and resurrection of your Son they may share in the joy of your heavenly kingdom and rejoice in you with your saints forever. We ask this through Christ our Lord.


Almighty and eternal God, those who take refuge in you will be glad and forever will shout for joy. Protect these soldiers as they discharge their duties. Protect them with the shield of your strength and keep them safe from all harm. May the power of your love enable them to return home in safety, that with all who love them, they may ever praise you for your loving care. We ask this through Christ our Lord.

May God bless the troops and all veterans.

No comments: